Monday, June 12, 2006

Lollipop-Palooza the Kid's Show

Lollipop-Palooza the Kid's Show was created in 1992 while I was a barista at the Dream Cafe in Dallas TX.

One day, Lynn asked me if I'd entertained kids. I hadn't but would like to try. She booked me for a session at the Imagination Celebration of that year. Hence, my little kid's show was born. I loved it and it was great fun.

Soon after, I started what would become a 6 year run every Monday from Spring to Autumn on the vast lawn of The Dream Cafe. I created this show and took it from private parties, The Dream Cafe lawn to festivals. It has pretty much remained the same. I start with a family sing-along. Then we do 3 songs with the kids playing instruments from this small collection of kid's instruments I bought at The Teacher's Aid, a store on Mockingbird. Then we would do the Hokey Pokey. After all this fun and revelry, the kid's would line up at my extra "kid's mic" and they would sing a song of their choosing as I played guitar (and reminded them of the lyrics) for them. Yup, 6 years at The Dream Cafe at the Quad and then later, 1 year at The Dream Cafe in Addison and many private parties between the two venues and after.

Over the years, the name of my show has been "borrowed" by organizations. They even had the nerve to laughingly tell me they used the name of my show. Too bad I can't afford a copyright.

Now, after reading a blog by a Texas female artist, I find that the format has been "borrowed" as well. All the way from kid's singing with me to the Hokey Pokey. They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I wonder why it feels like thievery to me then. I'm saddened that this very creative, very intelligent person is doing my show. I remember her singing on the main stage of the Imagination Celebration, doing every kid's song I do. Almost in the same order. There is nothing I can do about it.

Could it be that brilliant minds do so think alike? To this degree? Could it be some kind of bizarro coincidence? Possibly? I dunno. I prefer to think that we're just the same kind of smart. Am I naive? Now that's entirely, totally possible.


Anywho, I just wanted to vent a bit. Thieves suck and Life sucks sometimes. Today, I feel it does.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home