Thursday, May 18, 2006

More talk of birds.... the pelicans, this time.

I go to Portland these days to do my shopping. Everywhere I need to go is close by. I can hit the Walmart, HEB, Family Dollar, and General Dollar stores where they sit all in a row down Hwy 181.

It has a decidedly UN-Corpus feel. It's about 9 miles away as the crow flies, but I like the ambience of this little town of 16,000 population. On my drive there, I always look for pelicans. They are so goofy and clumsy looking out of the air and water. Kinda ugly when on land.

But when they fly, they are awesome. Graceful and majestic in the air. They are big birds. I see them when I drive the bridges to and from Portland.

They seem to hang out on the pier by the fancy condos on the North side of North Beach before the long bridges to Portland. Around dusk, about 8-9 of them fly all in a row near that pier. They fly across the highway bridge and back the other way as they head home to roost. I love watching these huge, graceful birds command the sky. Sometimres, they fly parallel to my car as I cruise at 65 MPH. Suffice it to say, they can fly pretty fast!

Today, at my Temp job at TAMU, I was standing by the stairs with Ms. Lehman looking out the 2 story window towards the Bay. We watched as a brown pelican dive-bombed into the water to snag a fish. He did this several times. We were mesmerized by him as he did a free-fall from about 40-50 feet in the air and with a big splash hit the water. So graceful and probably accurate as hell.

I'm going to have to come back to this shallow, sandy beach across Ocean Drive from this office to just hang out and watch the birds. It is a glorious, clear, bright blue day. There are about 5-6 kayakers paddling around the sandy beach. I'm sure glad I don't have a window by my desk. Surely, I would get nothing done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home